Tuesday, April 12, 2011

20 Something Black Love

This past weekend I was lying on the couch watching CNN catching up on all the events that happened while I was in "LaLa Land" and I received a text from one of my closest friends. The text read, " I have some Big NEWS". Knowing that my friend has been dating a certain young lady for nearly 2 years all I could think of was "Marriage". I quickly responded back to his text with, “You’re Engaged", but the thing was I was merely being facetious not expecting him to follow my response with " Not yet but I'm asking TODAY". With that one simple text I was so taken back. How does LOVE feel and how do you know that you've found the right one.

I believe that I am one of many 80's Babies who grew up with a false sense of reality when it comes to LOVE and RELATIONSHIPS due to 90's R&B music, DAMN YOU Lauryn Hill and Boys II Men, but the reality of what it means to cultivate a new relationship and build lasting LOVE cannot be found in a Shai song or an Jodeci lyric in my honest opinion it can only be found through trial and error it is more a game of chance than anything else

Looking back over my past relationships and dating experiences, TRUST there's a difference; I've realized that timing is everything. You also can't force something that isn't there. But, I digress I don't want to make this a relationship post; Steve Harvey and Hill Harper have that pretty much covered. I honestly want to know when do you know you have the right person. I have felt that " Lovey Dovey" feeling a number of times in my life and I've had a number of women profess their undying love for me but when does the shift from person I'm dating currently to this is my future spouse happen? Is it when you find someone who accepts all of your flaws or is it when you can only see yourself with this person even when the other options available seem so much better to the others around you. My friend is the first person I've ever been close to, outside of family, that I've ever seen experience true love and I'm honestly happy for him.. I guess in time I will understand this crazy thing called love but definitely don't believe it will be in the district.

No comments: